Who We Are
FABBS is a coalition of scientific societies that share an interest in advancing the sciences of mind, brain, and behavior. Our goal is to promote human potential and well-being through research knowledge gained from these sciences. We communicate the importance and contributions of basic and applied research in these areas to policy makers and the public. We work in close cooperation with scientific societies in the fields of social science, psychology, education, and neuroscience. Academic units and corporations that share these goals support the organization as affiliates.
Our sister organization, FABBS Foundation, was created in 2004 to conduct educational activities that enhance understanding of the sciences of mind, brain, and behavior. FABBS Foundation also recognizes eminent, senior scientists who have made significant contributions to our sciences.
What We Do
FABBS represents the interests of its scientific societies by:
- Educating federal representatives and Congress about the importance of research in the sciences of mind, brain, and behavior
- Advocating for legislation and policy that enhance training and research
- Providing sources of expertise and knowledge to federal agencies, Congress, and the media
- Encouraging the sound use of science in the creation of public policy
- Fostering effective interaction between agencies and organizations that fund research and the community of scientists and scientific societies
- Facilitating information exchange among constituent societies as well as other scientific organizations
2012 Annual Reports
2012 Annual Report » [PDF]
2012 Year In Review » [PDF]
Previous Annual Reports
2011 Annual Report » [PDF]
2010 Annual Report » [PDF]
2009 Annual Report » [PDF]
The launch of FABBS as an organization began on December 7, 1980, when representatives of eight organizations meeting in Chicago joined forces to promote behavioral, psychological, and cognitive sciences. FABBS was incorporated in 1981, and opened an office in Washington, D.C., in 1982. In 2009, the Federation of Behavioral, Psychological, and Cognitive Sciences changed its name to the Federation of Associations in Brain & Behavioral Sciences (FABBS). Likewise, our sister organization, the Foundation for the Advancement of Behavioral & Brain Sciences, changed its name to FABBS Foundation in 2009.