News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- NICHD Setting Research Vision for Next Decade »
The National Institute of Child Health & Human Development is seeking input from scientific, policy, and public health experts on creating an “ambitious but achievable” Vision Statement for the next decade.
- Carl Wieman Confirmed for OSTP Post »
The U.S. Senate recently confirmed Nobel prize-winner Carl Wieman as Associate Director for Science in the White House’s Office of Science and Technology Policy.
- Subra Suresh Confirmed as NSF Director »
The U.S. Senate has confirmed Subra Suresh as director of the National Science Foundation for a six-year term.
- NIH Announces Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities »
The National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities has become the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities.
- New NRC Doctoral Program Assessment Released–and Debated »
The National Research Council has released its latest assessment of U.S. doctoral programs, intended to help universities improve the quality of their programs and prospective students choose those best suited to their abilities and interests.
- President Announces Launch of Nonprofit to Promote STEM Education »
President Obama has announced the launch of a new non-profit organization as part of his “Educate to Innovate” campaign to improve Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education.
- House Science Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Science of Science Policy »
The U.S. House Committee on Science and Technology’s Research and Science Education Subcommittee held a hearing on the ‘science of science and innovation policy’ on September 23, 2010.
- FABBS Foundation Honors David Myers »
David G. Myers, PhD, Professor of Psychology at Hope College, is featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- FABBS Foundation to Participate in "Science on the Mall" »
Find out “Where Science Meets the Mind,” the FABBS Foundation’s booth at the USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo, the nation’s first-ever national science festival.
- NIH Creates New Award to Facilitate Research Independence »
A competitive, new research award program should make it easier for talented junior scientists to move into independent academic positions at U.S. institutions immediately after earning their graduate research degrees.
- SAMHSA Welcomes Input on Strategic Initiatives »
SAMHSA is seeking comments on eight proposed strategic initiatives designed to maximize the impact of limited resources on what it calls “areas of urgency and opportunity.”
- Health Promotion Council Seeks Input on Draft Strategy »
A new council within the Department of Health and Human Services seeks input on a proposed strategy to replace the nation’s “sick-care” system with one based on wellness and prevention.