News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- Mishkin Receives National Medal of Science »
Mortimer Mishkin, PhD, has been named by President Obama as one of 10 recipients of the National Medal of Science.
- Societies Ask PCAST to Reconsider Its Exclusion of Behavioral/Social Sciences in K-12 STEM Education »
In a joint letter, thirty-five behavioral and social science societies ask the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) why specific areas of science are excluded at K-12 level.
- IOM to Convene First Meeting on Healthy People 2020 »
A committee of the Institute of Medicine is planning a series of public meetings to identify 12 indicators that will be used to measure the health of the nation during the next decade.
- Health Promotion Council Seeks Input on Draft Strategy »
A new council within the Department of Health and Human Services seeks input on a proposed strategy to replace the nation’s “sick-care” system with one based on wellness and prevention.
- SAMHSA Welcomes Input on Strategic Initiatives »
SAMHSA is seeking comments on eight proposed strategic initiatives designed to maximize the impact of limited resources on what it calls “areas of urgency and opportunity.”
- NIH Creates New Award to Facilitate Research Independence »
A competitive, new research award program should make it easier for talented junior scientists to move into independent academic positions at U.S. institutions immediately after earning their graduate research degrees.
- FABBS Foundation to Participate in "Science on the Mall" »
Find out “Where Science Meets the Mind,” the FABBS Foundation’s booth at the USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo, the nation’s first-ever national science festival.
- FABBS Foundation Honors David Myers »
David G. Myers, PhD, Professor of Psychology at Hope College, is featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- House Science Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Science of Science Policy »
The U.S. House Committee on Science and Technology’s Research and Science Education Subcommittee held a hearing on the ‘science of science and innovation policy’ on September 23, 2010.
- President Announces Launch of Nonprofit to Promote STEM Education »
President Obama has announced the launch of a new non-profit organization as part of his “Educate to Innovate” campaign to improve Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education.
- New NRC Doctoral Program Assessment Released–and Debated »
The National Research Council has released its latest assessment of U.S. doctoral programs, intended to help universities improve the quality of their programs and prospective students choose those best suited to their abilities and interests.
- NIH Announces Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities »
The National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities has become the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities.