News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- NSF SBE Directorate Seeks Input on Research Agenda for Next Decade »
NSF Assistant Director Myron Gutmann invites the scientific community to “think boldly about future promises” for our sciences and to submit white papers that will address next-generation research challenges.
- “Science and Subpoenas:” Researchers Concerned about Participant Confidentiality »
In Arizona, a battle is brewing over whether universities can withhold raw research data from discovery in a court proceeding in an effort to protect the confidentiality of research participants.
- National Academies Report Sounds Warning on Investments in Science and Education, Again »
The National Academies released a report on September 23, 2010, warning that America’s competitive position in the world has deteriorated in the past five years.
- PCAST STEM Education Report Released -- Social and Behavioral Sciences Recognized as STEM Education Fields, Except at K-12 Level »
PCAST released its long-awaited report on K-12 STEM Education, Prepare and Inspire: K-12 Education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) for America’s Future, on September 16, 2010.
- FABBS Welcomes a New Member Society »
FABBS is pleased to announce that the Society for Text & Discourse has joined its list of scientific societies who share an interest in promoting the sciences of mind, brain, and behavior.
- NIH Board Votes to Consolidate NIDA and NIAAA Research in a New Institute »
The Substance Use, Abuse, and Addiction working group at NIH stated that scientific and public health issues led them to unanimously conclude that addictions research should be consolidated at the agency.
- NSF Issues Call for Alan T. Waterman Award for Exceptional, Young Investigators »
The Alan T. Waterman Award recognizes the contributions of one young investigator per year for “exceptional individual achievements in scientific or engineering research of sufficient quality to place them at the forefront of their peers.”
- NIH Invites Comment on Its Draft Strategic Plan for Obesity Research »
The NIH Obesity Research Task Force is updating the Strategic Plan for NIH Obesity Research and seeks public comment on the draft plan by October 14, 2010.
- FABBS Foundation Honors Edward Smith »
Edward Smith, PhD, is featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- New Grant Podcasts Available from NIH »
See podcasts on the grant application process and use of plain language in applications.
- OppNet Funding Available for Meetings to Create Interdisciplinary Research Teams »
NIH seeks to advance basic behavioral and social sciences research by providing funds for scientific meetings that will facilitate the creation of interdisciplinary research teams.
- NIH Urges Scientists to Communicate Research Value in Applications »
Recognizing the importance of clearly communicating to the public what is being funded with tax dollars and why the research is important, NIH is getting the word out to applicants that they should state in plain language the value and potential impact of the research on public health.