News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- New NSF Director Addresses Budget, Interdisciplinary Research, and Science Education »
Ira Flatow, host of National Public Radio’s Science Friday, recently interviewed the new NSF Director, Subra Suresh, about NSF’s research mission and the impact of current budget challenges.
- OppNet Opens Career Development Opportunities for Mid-Career and Senior Researchers »
NIH is currently seeking applications from established, mid-career and senior investigators for short-term, mentored career development awards.
- Scientific Societies Urge Lawmakers to Fund Science »
FABBS has joined hundreds of scientific universities, organizations and societies in urging U.S. House and Senate leaders to maintain or increase fiscal year 2011 funding requests for the National Science Foundation and National Institutes of Health.
- President Asks for Review of Human Subjects Protection Regulations »
President Obama is seeking a review of federal regulations and international standards to determine if they adequately protect participants in research studies, both domestically and internationally.
- PCAST Responds to Joint Letter about K-12 STEM Education »
Earlier this year, we asked PCAST to affirm that all sciences are needed to address the nation’s many challenges - on November 10, 2010, we received a reply from PCAST.
- Making the Case for Science »
The election is over and all eyes are on the 112th Congress and its next steps. The country faces a $1.3 trillion deficit and given the gloomy landscape, the scientific community must be prepared to make its case.
- New NRC Doctoral Program Assessment Released–and Debated »
The National Research Council has released its latest assessment of U.S. doctoral programs, intended to help universities improve the quality of their programs and prospective students choose those best suited to their abilities and interests.
- Subra Suresh Confirmed as NSF Director »
The U.S. Senate has confirmed Subra Suresh as director of the National Science Foundation for a six-year term.
- NSF SBE Directorate Seeks Input on Research Agenda for Next Decade »
NSF Assistant Director Myron Gutmann invites the scientific community to “think boldly about future promises” for our sciences and to submit white papers that will address next-generation research challenges.
- FABBS Twitter Feed is Now Live: Follow Us! »
FABBS now has a Twitter feed!
- NIH To Host OPPNET Conference in October »
NIH will host a free, open conference on OPPNET, its trans-NIH basic behavioral and social sciences (b-BSSR) initiative, on October 28-29, 2010 in Washington, DC.
- NIH Launches Multidisciplinary Network on Health Disparities »
OBSSR is contracting with the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health to establish a Network on Inequality, Complexity, and Health (NICH).