News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- NIH Creates Public Feedback Site: SMRB Recommendations Up First »
NIH wants to make it easier for members of the research community and general public to offer comments, and it has created a new Web site to gather input.
- FABBS Foundation Honors Edwin Locke »
Edwin Locke, Dean's Professor of Leadership and Motivation (Emeritus) at the University of Maryland, College Park, is featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- U.S. Army, National Cancer Institute, and National Science Foundation Describe Behavioral Science Research Needs and Opportunities »
FABBS held its Annual Council of Representatives Meeting on December 6, 2010, drawing in speakers from multiple federal agencies to discuss how behavioral sciences research can further their missions.
- Agency Budgets for this Fiscal Year Still in Question »
While tax cuts to stimulate the economy are getting a great deal of attention, federal agency budgets for Fiscal year 2011 which began on October 1, 2010, are still up in the air.
- University Associations Mobilize for Attacks on Science »
Representatives from multiple scholarly associations have requested examples of social, behavioral and economic research that has produced significant benefits to society.
- Behavioral and Social Scientists Bracing for Threatened Spending Cuts »
One proposed recommendation of a way to to reduce the deficit is to “refocus the National Science Foundation on hard sciences,” which would reduce the funding of the divisions of Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences as well as Social and Economic Sciences by 50%.
- OSTP to Host Workshop on the Science of Science Measurement »
The President’s Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) is hosting a workshop December 2-3, 2010, in Washington, DC intended to “connect science agencies with the frontier of current research on science measurement” and inform science policy practitioners about practical issues.
- NIH Director Creates Task Force for NIDA and NIAAA Consolidation »
After receiving a formal recommendation by the NIH Scientific Management Review Board, NIH Director Francis Collins has asked two senior staff members to organize a task force to look at consolidating research programs on substance use, abuse and addiction into one institute.
- New NSF Director Addresses Budget, Interdisciplinary Research, and Science Education »
Ira Flatow, host of National Public Radio’s Science Friday, recently interviewed the new NSF Director, Subra Suresh, about NSF’s research mission and the impact of current budget challenges.
- OppNet Opens Career Development Opportunities for Mid-Career and Senior Researchers »
NIH is currently seeking applications from established, mid-career and senior investigators for short-term, mentored career development awards.
- FABBS Foundation Honors David Myers »
David G. Myers, PhD, Professor of Psychology at Hope College, is featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- President Announces Launch of Nonprofit to Promote STEM Education »
President Obama has announced the launch of a new non-profit organization as part of his “Educate to Innovate” campaign to improve Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education.