News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- OBSSR Releases Report on STEM Education Workshop »
The NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR) released a report on Behavioral and Social in STEM Education that summarizes discussions held by numerous STEM education stakeholders during a workshop on the NIH campus on July 13, 2010.
- Details Emerge on Final Spending Bill for FY 2011 »
At long last, the U.S. House, U.S. Senate, and the White House were able to reach agreement on a final measure to fund the government for the remainder of the fiscal year ending September 30, 2011.
- House Science Subcommittee Briefed on "Behavior Science and Security" »
The House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology’s Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight invited Philip Rubin to describe the state of research in the behavioral and social sciences related to the evaluation of tools, techniques, and technologies used in security and the detection of deception.
- Science Café Highlights Research on Enhancing Children’s Learning »
Dr. Lauren Resnick (University of Pittsburgh) and Dr. Bruce McCandliss (Vanderbilt University) spoke at the FABBS Foundation's event on March 24, 2011, Enhancing Children’s Learning: Insights from Cognitive, Education, and Neuroscience Research.
- President’s Bioethics Commissions Seeks Comments on Human Research Protections »
The Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues requests public comment on federal and international standards for protecting the health and well-being of participants in federally-supported research.
- Agreement on Spending Cuts Slipping As Preparations Begin for Possible Government Shutdown »
The White House and Congressional leaders met today, April 5, to reach agreement on how much to cut government spending for the remainder of the fiscal year and avoid a government shutdown. The meeting ended without the two parties reaching a deal.
- NSF Director Testifies On FY 2012 Budget Proposal »
On March 10, 2011, NSF Director Subra Suresh appeared before the U.S. House’s Commerce, Justice, Science Appropriations Subcommittee to discuss the President’s FY 2012 Budget Request.
- FABBS Welcomes McGraw-Hill Higher Education »
McGraw-Hill Higher Education, a unit of McGraw-Hill Education, has joined FABBS as a corporate affiliate.
- U.S. House Subcommittee Takes Aim at NSF’s Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Directorate »
A Congressional hearing was held “to examine the need for federal investments in the social, behavioral, and economic sciences (SBE) and to assess its value to the American taxpayer.”
- FABBS Foundation Honors Marilynn Brewer »
Marilynn B. Brewer, PhD (The Ohio State University and University of New South Wales) is now featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- Robert Feldman to Serve as President-Elect of FABBS Foundation »
The FABBS Foundation is pleased to announce that Robert (Bob) Feldman (University of Massachusetts Amherst) will serve as President-Elect beginning in January 2012.
- NIH Seeks Innovative, High-Risk Ideas for Common Fund »
NIH is seeking new ideas for the Common Fund that “fundamentally change how we think about, support, or do research in a specific field, or … create an entirely new field.”