News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- OSTP to Host Workshop on the Science of Science Measurement »
The President’s Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) is hosting a workshop December 2-3, 2010, in Washington, DC intended to “connect science agencies with the frontier of current research on science measurement” and inform science policy practitioners about practical issues.
- NIH Director Creates Task Force for NIDA and NIAAA Consolidation »
After receiving a formal recommendation by the NIH Scientific Management Review Board, NIH Director Francis Collins has asked two senior staff members to organize a task force to look at consolidating research programs on substance use, abuse and addiction into one institute.
- New NSF Director Addresses Budget, Interdisciplinary Research, and Science Education »
Ira Flatow, host of National Public Radio’s Science Friday, recently interviewed the new NSF Director, Subra Suresh, about NSF’s research mission and the impact of current budget challenges.
- OppNet Opens Career Development Opportunities for Mid-Career and Senior Researchers »
NIH is currently seeking applications from established, mid-career and senior investigators for short-term, mentored career development awards.
- Scientific Societies Urge Lawmakers to Fund Science »
FABBS has joined hundreds of scientific universities, organizations and societies in urging U.S. House and Senate leaders to maintain or increase fiscal year 2011 funding requests for the National Science Foundation and National Institutes of Health.
- President Asks for Review of Human Subjects Protection Regulations »
President Obama is seeking a review of federal regulations and international standards to determine if they adequately protect participants in research studies, both domestically and internationally.
- PCAST Responds to Joint Letter about K-12 STEM Education »
Earlier this year, we asked PCAST to affirm that all sciences are needed to address the nation’s many challenges - on November 10, 2010, we received a reply from PCAST.
- NIH Creates Public Feedback Site: SMRB Recommendations Up First »
NIH wants to make it easier for members of the research community and general public to offer comments, and it has created a new Web site to gather input.
- White House Seeks Input on Public Participation Tool, ExpertNet »
The White House is seeking input on a proposed software tool intended to make it easier for knowledgeable citizens to share their expertise with government officials.
- NSF Director Discusses Outlook for NSF in the New Year »
Subra Suresh, NSF’s new Director, met with numerous scientific society and university representatives on January 18, 2011, to share his thoughts on NSF’s direction and to answer questions.
- NIH’s Center for Scientific Review Makes Changes »
NIH is realigning and reorganizing its study sections to “reflect changes in the science.”
- Uncertainty Abounds in Fiscal Future »
The new House majority, eager to fulfill campaign promises, has begun the rollout of weekly bills to cut spending.