News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- House Science Subcommittee Briefed on "Behavior Science and Security" »
The House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology’s Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight invited Philip Rubin to describe the state of research in the behavioral and social sciences related to the evaluation of tools, techniques, and technologies used in security and the detection of deception.
- Details Emerge on Final Spending Bill for FY 2011 »
At long last, the U.S. House, U.S. Senate, and the White House were able to reach agreement on a final measure to fund the government for the remainder of the fiscal year ending September 30, 2011.
- OBSSR Releases Report on STEM Education Workshop »
The NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR) released a report on Behavioral and Social in STEM Education that summarizes discussions held by numerous STEM education stakeholders during a workshop on the NIH campus on July 13, 2010.
- NIH Announces Fiscal Policy for FY 2011 Grant Awards »
With passage of the final FY 2011 spending bill now complete, NIH recently announced how it will implement the 1% spending cut for FY 2011 grant awards.
- Deficit Reduction Talks to Set Stage for Decades »
Congress returns today from a two-week recess, and much of its attention will turn to plans to reduce budget deficits and raise the country’s debt ceiling.
- National Academy of Education Elects Eleven New Members »
Eleven leaders in education were elected to membership in the National Academy of Education "for their pioneering efforts in educational research and policy development."
- NIH Working Group to Make Recommendations on Biomedical and Behavioral Research Workforce »
A newly-formed NIH working group will provide advice to the NIH Director’s advisory committee regarding actions needed to ensure a diverse and sustainable biomedical and behavioral research workforce.
- Senate Subcommittee Hears Testimony on NIH Budget - Success Rates to Drop »
NIH Director Francis Collins appeared before the U.S. Senate Labor-Health and Human Services-Education Appropriations Subcommittee last week to discuss the Administration’s Fiscal Year 2012 Budget Request for NIH.
- Limits Set for House Appropriations Subcommittees »
Rep. Harold Rogers, Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, announced limits for the House Appropriations Subcommittees to use when determining funding for programs under their jurisdiction.
- Capitol Hill Exhibition Highlights NSF-Sponsored Research »
As part of the Coalition for National Science Funding’s Annual Exhibition & Reception on Capitol Hill, FABBS highlighted the NSF-funded research of Dr. Rick Thomas of the University of Oklahoma.
- FABBS Welcomes McGraw-Hill Higher Education »
McGraw-Hill Higher Education, a unit of McGraw-Hill Education, has joined FABBS as a corporate affiliate.
- U.S. House Subcommittee Takes Aim at NSF’s Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Directorate »
A Congressional hearing was held “to examine the need for federal investments in the social, behavioral, and economic sciences (SBE) and to assess its value to the American taxpayer.”