News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- Senator Recommends Elimination of NSF SBE Directorate: Advocates Responding »
Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn released the latest in a series of “oversight reports” prepared by his office, a report that is highly critical of the National Science Foundation.
- FABBS Foundation Honors Marilynn Brewer »
Marilynn B. Brewer, PhD (The Ohio State University and University of New South Wales) is now featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- U.S. House Subcommittee Takes Aim at NSF’s Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Directorate »
A Congressional hearing was held “to examine the need for federal investments in the social, behavioral, and economic sciences (SBE) and to assess its value to the American taxpayer.”
- FABBS Welcomes McGraw-Hill Higher Education »
McGraw-Hill Higher Education, a unit of McGraw-Hill Education, has joined FABBS as a corporate affiliate.
- Capitol Hill Exhibition Highlights NSF-Sponsored Research »
As part of the Coalition for National Science Funding’s Annual Exhibition & Reception on Capitol Hill, FABBS highlighted the NSF-funded research of Dr. Rick Thomas of the University of Oklahoma.
- Limits Set for House Appropriations Subcommittees »
Rep. Harold Rogers, Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, announced limits for the House Appropriations Subcommittees to use when determining funding for programs under their jurisdiction.
- Senate Subcommittee Hears Testimony on NIH Budget - Success Rates to Drop »
NIH Director Francis Collins appeared before the U.S. Senate Labor-Health and Human Services-Education Appropriations Subcommittee last week to discuss the Administration’s Fiscal Year 2012 Budget Request for NIH.
- NIH Working Group to Make Recommendations on Biomedical and Behavioral Research Workforce »
A newly-formed NIH working group will provide advice to the NIH Director’s advisory committee regarding actions needed to ensure a diverse and sustainable biomedical and behavioral research workforce.
- National Academy of Education Elects Eleven New Members »
Eleven leaders in education were elected to membership in the National Academy of Education "for their pioneering efforts in educational research and policy development."
- Deficit Reduction Talks to Set Stage for Decades »
Congress returns today from a two-week recess, and much of its attention will turn to plans to reduce budget deficits and raise the country’s debt ceiling.
- NIH Announces Fiscal Policy for FY 2011 Grant Awards »
With passage of the final FY 2011 spending bill now complete, NIH recently announced how it will implement the 1% spending cut for FY 2011 grant awards.
- Department of Defense Seeks Research Proposals from SBE Sciences »
The Department of Defense (DoD) is seeking new research proposals from the social sciences in order to “meet the challenges of the 21st century.”