News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- Senate Subcommittee Hears Testimony on NIH Budget - Success Rates to Drop »
NIH Director Francis Collins appeared before the U.S. Senate Labor-Health and Human Services-Education Appropriations Subcommittee last week to discuss the Administration’s Fiscal Year 2012 Budget Request for NIH.
- NIH Working Group to Make Recommendations on Biomedical and Behavioral Research Workforce »
A newly-formed NIH working group will provide advice to the NIH Director’s advisory committee regarding actions needed to ensure a diverse and sustainable biomedical and behavioral research workforce.
- National Academy of Education Elects Eleven New Members »
Eleven leaders in education were elected to membership in the National Academy of Education "for their pioneering efforts in educational research and policy development."
- Deficit Reduction Talks to Set Stage for Decades »
Congress returns today from a two-week recess, and much of its attention will turn to plans to reduce budget deficits and raise the country’s debt ceiling.
- NIH Announces Fiscal Policy for FY 2011 Grant Awards »
With passage of the final FY 2011 spending bill now complete, NIH recently announced how it will implement the 1% spending cut for FY 2011 grant awards.
- OBSSR Releases Report on STEM Education Workshop »
The NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR) released a report on Behavioral and Social in STEM Education that summarizes discussions held by numerous STEM education stakeholders during a workshop on the NIH campus on July 13, 2010.
- Details Emerge on Final Spending Bill for FY 2011 »
At long last, the U.S. House, U.S. Senate, and the White House were able to reach agreement on a final measure to fund the government for the remainder of the fiscal year ending September 30, 2011.
- STEM Education Challenges Offered to the Scientific Community »
In recent weeks, several challenges have been presented to the scientific community by federal agencies interested in STEM education.
- SBE Research Survives House Appropriations Committee, but Faces Challenge on Floor »
Amidst the ongoing and critical work necessary to deal with the debt ceiling, the pace of progress on appropriations bills has recently slowed in the House.
- Department of Defense Seeks Research Proposals from SBE Sciences »
The Department of Defense (DoD) is seeking new research proposals from the social sciences in order to “meet the challenges of the 21st century.”
- Congress Rolling Out Continuing Resolution as Agencies Prepare for Cuts »
On Sept 14, 2011, House appropriators introduced a Continuing Resolution (CR) that will fund government programs from October 1 through November 18, 2011. Passage of the CR is expected in both the House and Senate this week.
- FABBS Foundation Honors Richard Anderson »
Richard C. Anderson EdD (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign) is now featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.