News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- Department of Defense Seeks Research Proposals from SBE Sciences »
The Department of Defense (DoD) is seeking new research proposals from the social sciences in order to “meet the challenges of the 21st century.”
- SBE Research Survives House Appropriations Committee, but Faces Challenge on Floor »
Amidst the ongoing and critical work necessary to deal with the debt ceiling, the pace of progress on appropriations bills has recently slowed in the House.
- STEM Education Challenges Offered to the Scientific Community »
In recent weeks, several challenges have been presented to the scientific community by federal agencies interested in STEM education.
- NSF Advisory Board Seeks Input on Review Criteria »
The National Science Board (NSB) seeks input from the scientific community on its proposed revision to two merit review criteria and the principles underlying them.
- Scientists Needed to Respond to SBE Threats »
Since the assaults began on NSF generally, and SBE in particular, the scientific community has united in opposition to attacks on NSF, individual grants, and an entire area of science. Scientists need to continue to get involved to turn the tide.
- Senator Recommends Elimination of NSF SBE Directorate: Advocates Responding »
Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn released the latest in a series of “oversight reports” prepared by his office, a report that is highly critical of the National Science Foundation.
- FABBS Foundation Honors Marilynn Brewer »
Marilynn B. Brewer, PhD (The Ohio State University and University of New South Wales) is now featured in the FABBS Foundation's program which honors eminent, senior scientists.
- U.S. House Subcommittee Takes Aim at NSF’s Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Directorate »
A Congressional hearing was held “to examine the need for federal investments in the social, behavioral, and economic sciences (SBE) and to assess its value to the American taxpayer.”
- FABBS Welcomes McGraw-Hill Higher Education »
McGraw-Hill Higher Education, a unit of McGraw-Hill Education, has joined FABBS as a corporate affiliate.
- Capitol Hill Exhibition Highlights NSF-Sponsored Research »
As part of the Coalition for National Science Funding’s Annual Exhibition & Reception on Capitol Hill, FABBS highlighted the NSF-funded research of Dr. Rick Thomas of the University of Oklahoma.
- Limits Set for House Appropriations Subcommittees »
Rep. Harold Rogers, Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, announced limits for the House Appropriations Subcommittees to use when determining funding for programs under their jurisdiction.
- Democrats Release Report Critical of Senator Coburn’s Analysis of NSF »
Democratic committee staff evaluated the substance of the claims made by Senator Coburn in The National Science Foundation: Under the Microscope that “NSF had mismanaged or wasted $3 billion” and could not "validate a single category of significant purported savings.”