News from FABBS and the FABBS Foundation
- Robert Kaplan Appointed Director of OBSSR »
Robert M. Kaplan, PhD, has been selected to serve as Director of the Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR) and as NIH Associate Director for Behavioral and Social Sciences Research at the National Institutes of Health.
- OBSSR Hosts Workshop On Behavioral and Social Sciences and STEM Education »
The National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR) brought together representatives from the White House Domestic Policy Council, the U.S. Department of Education, the National Sciences Foundation, NIH, scientific and education communities, and scientific societies to discuss the Administration’s priorities in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education and the status of the behavioral and social sciences within STEM education.
- Scientific Societies Respond to NAS Draft Report “A Framework for Science Education” »
The National Academy of Sciences released a draft report on July 13, 2010, that provides a “conceptual framework” to “guide the development of next generation standards for science education.”
- NIH Seeks Social and Behavioral Scientists For Intramural Research Positions »
The National Institutes of Health is currently seeking scientists for tenure-track positions in its intramural program.
- APA Releases Report on Psychology as a STEM Discipline »
At its Annual Convention, the American Psychological Association released a report, Psychology as a Core Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Discipline.
- NRC Leader to Become Dean at George Washington University »
Michael Feuer, Executive Director of the National Research Council’s Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, part of the National Academies, has been named Dean of the George Washington University’s Graduate School of Education and Human Development.
- NIH Announces Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities »
The National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities has become the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities.
- Subra Suresh Confirmed as NSF Director »
The U.S. Senate has confirmed Subra Suresh as director of the National Science Foundation for a six-year term.
- Carl Wieman Confirmed for OSTP Post »
The U.S. Senate recently confirmed Nobel prize-winner Carl Wieman as Associate Director for Science in the White House’s Office of Science and Technology Policy.
- NICHD Setting Research Vision for Next Decade »
The National Institute of Child Health & Human Development is seeking input from scientific, policy, and public health experts on creating an “ambitious but achievable” Vision Statement for the next decade.
- National Science Board Report Releases STEM Innovators Report »
Nurturing the talents and abilities of America’s most gifted students from all demographic areas is critical in ensuring the nation’s future prosperity, a new report concludes.
- New Fiscal Year Approaches, Continuing Resolution in the Works »
On Friday, October 1, 2010, the 2011 fiscal year begins for the federal government.